Cool for the Summer
As summer approaches, the weather keeps gets hotter!
If you’re new to the Orlando area or you’ve been here for a while, here are some tips to stay cool and healthy this summer!
- Take advantage of cooler times, like early morning or late evening. If you can’t change your time, try to scale down your workout like walking instead of running.
- Try to avoid synthetic fabrics and stick to lightly colored, loose fitting, cotton clothing.
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water and sports drinks with sources of electrolytes. Stay away from caffeine, soft drinks, and alcohol as they will speed up dehydration. By the time you feel thirsty, dehydration has already started to set in!
- Using fans inside with air conditioning to promote circulation.
- Don’t forget sunscreen! Use a minimum of SPF 30 everyday!
- Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the fridge to mist your face once you return from the outdoors.
- Keep water bottles in the freezer and grab one when you’re ready to head outside. Once the ice melts, you’re left with cold water!
- Avoid hot foods! Try cold fruit or low fat dairy products. Keep popsicles in the freezer for a cool treat!
- Go to a local pool for a cool swim. The Addison on Millenia has a beach entry pool that’s sure to keep you cool!
- If the heat is intolerable, STAY INSIDE!
While the summer heat is nice to have, it can also cause many problems. Use these tips to avoid heat related illnesses like heat stroke, heat cramps, and heat stroke. Have an enjoyable summer!